"...Arise and shine forth, that thy light may be a standard for the nations" Doctrine and Covenants 115:5

Monday, March 30, 2015

Happy Unbirthday to Sister Olsen!

We played a prank this week, and it seems super lame to anyone in the outside world, but here in the MTC it was like the most fun thing we could have ever done... Here it is: to set the scene, Sister Olsen got a package this week from her family that had a happy birthday sticker on the side... we thought it was hilarious, because we were convinced that her mother had forgotten when she had birthed her second daughter. #awk. But we went along with it! We decided to tell everyone in the district that the next day was actually Sister Olsen's birthday, she just hadn't wanted anyone to know... and everyone believed it!! Seriously, everyone was convinced that Sister Olsen had just kept a really good secret, and that she was actually turning 20 on March 25. The Elders decorated the room, and bought her birthday candy, and gave her special treatment... and it was the greatest day of our lives because we got to eat so much. I've decided to celebrate every March 25, just for the heck of it. #pranksters #perfectmatch #happyunbirthday.

This week we've been meeting with a girl named Devan! She is not a member, but works on campus at the TRC. She has so many legit questions, and it's been awesome meeting with her! She is the cutest thing ever, always so excited about life. She told us the story of how her mother passed away a few years ago, and Sister Olsen told her this amazing story about angels, and how they are always around us, guiding us, cheering us on, and rooting for us- it brought Devan to tears as she thought about her mother. Sister Olsen is such a powerful missionary, and always follows the spirit so well! Love her. That was such an amazing experience. Devan has started meeting with the missionaries outside of the MTC. :) Also, our teacher Brother Thrap has been having a hard time in school and such, and felt like he needed a bit of uplifting, so he asked Sister Olsen and I to meet with him and help him gain better perspective... We were freaking out because it was so on the fly, but it turned out to be an amazing lesson. I had read Matthew 14: 27-32 the night before, and I felt like it would be a good story to share with Brother Thrap... that is the story of when Peter walks on water, but sinks when he takes his eyes off the Savior. However, when he starts sinking he calls out, "Lord, Save me!" and he is grabbed by the hand and pulled back onto the water. As soon as I shared the story, Brother Thrap was looking at me in amazement...  he said this: "I have a picture of this story hanging in my room, with the caption that says, 'Lord, save me!' and I look at it every day." Haha so that was cool.... we had an amazing meeting with him, and it helped us all for sure. He thanked me later for helping him to remember to call out to the Lord when we feel we are sinking, and not only that, but to never take our eyes off the Lord, so that we will not ever sink. That is a lesson that all of us need to remember: Always keep your eyes on the Lord. Don't let yourself get distracted by the raging winds around you, don't let yourself become afraid. Keep your eyes on the Lord, have faith that He will help you walk on water, no matter what winds are blowing around you.
Also, this shirt has a goat on it. A goat.... his head is literally in the clouds. I inherited it from a Sister in the Cambodian zone. I'm expected to pass it down, but how can I?? It's a goat! (That's why I have a sad face in my photo... leave the goat!?!) It is now a normal thing for everyone to yell at me to summon my goat powers, and I respond with my (now famous) goat noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment