"...Arise and shine forth, that thy light may be a standard for the nations" Doctrine and Covenants 115:5

Monday, April 20, 2015

COCKROACH SLAYER

Oh Good morning friends :)
I think the subject title says a lot about my week! So if that doesn't get you excited for this e-mail, I don 't know what will! 

A week ago today,  at 3:35 in the morning, I boarded a train that would change my life forever.... haha okay as dramatic as that sounds, it's definitely the truest statement I've ever made in my life. Since that point, I've been on a plane for a total of 22 hours, been on another train for 12 hours, melted a million times, eaten fermented fish paste, and killed cockroaches. All things that I never thought I would do in a thousand years. 
 
I am currently in a little town called Sisaket, with my AMAZING COMPANION SISTER BURBANK. I can't even explain to you all the love I have for this area. I LOVE SISAKET! It's adorable, the people are so kind and humble and smiley, and the food is unbelievable. Also, there are water buffalo everywhere. Doesn't get much better than that. :) Except it DOES!! Because the Branch here is so good!! Ahhh the members are so awesome. They make fun of me all the time, and it's the greatest thing ever because I have no clue what they are saying! :D When the members here are strong, they are STRONG! I mean that. We have had so many referrals from members already, and we always have at least 5 members willing to go to investigator lessons with us- and they all come! Which is good, because I have no idea how to speak Thai, but they do. So that's helpful! But the most helpful thing is the amazing testimony of each and every member. They are such pioneers, and they have such strong testimonies! Ahhhh I get chills thinking about them. :) So you could say I love Sisaket :) As for Sister Burbank! We are so very similar! We get along so well! She is the best trainer ever, even though she sometimes throws me in with the sharks and asks me to explain the plan of salvation on the fly to an investigator... Literally the hardest lesson for me to teach. (I did something cool though... I stole an object lesson idea from my MTC teacher, and compared the gospel to a pen... basically he couldn't follow my hand unless he was grasping the pen with me. Hard to explain in writing, but I felt like a total boss.) Don't worry, that investigator is getting baptized on Sunday. :) And so is his mother! I have to tell you the story of these two. Brother Ef was a referral from a member, and we had tried to call him throughout the week and had no success. We called again on Saturday night, with no success. Then on Sunday morning he called us, 5 minutes before church, to apologize for missing our calls. We invited him to come to church in 5 minutes, and HE CAME and brought his grandma and a friend! So later than night we went to teach him, and he committed to baptism (probably because he was impressed by my pen analogy ;) ...just kidding, it was all the Spirit!) After his lesson, his mom came out and sat in the spot where Ef was sitting and said "okay. Teach me." We taught her, and committed her to baptism as well! I was able to extend the invitation to the both of them, and it was the greatest feeling in the world when they accepted!! AHHH so there are 2 of the 4 baptisms we have on Sunday :) 

I have gained a HUGE testimony that this gospel is truly a gospel of miracles, God is a God of miracles! I know that as I work hard, and dedicate myself to this work, I will truly see so many miracles. And that's what I'm here for! I am here to bring others unto Christ, and to see many miracles done by the hand of God. And I have already seen so many in the past few days. Even though this is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, and I can't understand a SINGLE word that is ever said, I have been so happy... even in the saddest moments. It's hard to describe. But it's hard not to be happy when you're literally serving other people all the time, and serving the Lord 24/7. I have been so humbled by all my weaknesses and inadequacies, but I know that I am being qualified, because there is NO WAY I could do all this on my own. I love the strength I get from my Savior every day. It's an amazing thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment